Thursday, October 6, 2016

ONE ROOM CHALLENGE FALL 2016 || WEEK ONE

 
It's hard to believe it's already that time again! Wednesday officially kicked off the first day of Calling it Home's newest One Room Challenge. For those of you new to the One Room Challenge, or the ORC, it is an event that happens twice a year and is put together by the incredible Linda of Calling it Home. The event starts with a group of 20 talented designers selected to transform a room in a short six weeks. The rest of us get to be guest participants that start a day later. It's a little crazy, stressful, but so fun to be a part of! You also get to meet some great people along the way that can relate to all of your blood, sweat and tears. Things don't always come together perfectly, but that's just a part of it. My last challenge proved that point, but in the end you get a fabulous new space and lots of beautiful eye candy to look at from your fellow participants! So here's where I am starting...
 
Our formal living room
 
 
This is one of my favorite rooms in the house. I love all of the windows and light from the two story ceilings.
That being said, I'm not in love with the furnishings. It's all nice stuff, but nothing that really represents our current style. The taupe color on the sofas just doesn't go with the gray walls. I also wanted to create more of an open conversational setting with chairs and a sofa.
 
 
 
I love the wall sconces, but the fireplace tile needs some major love.
 
 
The formal living room also shares space with our formal dining. We are keeping the round table and chairs, but adding a settee and some other decorative touches to tie it all together.
 
 
 
I thought I would share a little throwback photo showing the floors before they were re-stained...
 
 
I don't miss those yellow floors! On to the good stuff!
Here is the new plan for the living room...
 
 
 
Lots of neutral goodness! The main pieces (sofa, chairs and ottoman) have already been ordered. I hope they come soon! So here is a rough breakdown of what I'm working on...
 
1. New Sofa
2. Two chairs to flank fireplace
3. Ottoman to replace coffee table
4. Small accent table between chairs
5. Console table behind sofa (still deciding...)
6. Add fiddle leaf fig or greenery
7. Black and neutral fabrics for pillows
8. New settee to add additional seating at dining table
9. Figure out fireplace tile
10. New neutral rug (still deciding...I need to hurry it up)
11. Lots of cool decorative accents and artwork
 
Whew, I better get to work! Lots to do before next Thursday.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment